Psychology 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Dependent And Independent Variables, Confounding, Internal Validity

20 views5 pages
abdullah32 and 39352 others unlocked
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
111 documents

Document Summary

One (or more) variable is manipulated to determine if it influences other variables: manipulation makes this the only method that allows for conclusions about causes. 3 characteristics of an experiment: manipulate one (or more) variables, independent variable: any variable that is manipulated by the experimenter. Experimenter varies it between people or across time: measure the effect on other variable(s, dependent variable: the variable that is measured to see if the i. v. influences it. The outcome variable, it depends on the i. v: control extraneous factors, control things that can affect the d. v. other than the i. v, want to avoid confounding variables. Most experiments, but not all, have an experimental and a control condition. Control group: receives no treatment, drugs, etc , zero-level of the independent variable. Experimental group(s: receives some treatment, drugs, etc . Can be multiple levels of the experimental condition (ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers