Psychology 2075 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Sex Organ, Child Abuse, Health Promotion
75 views16 pages
Human Sexuality - Lecture 4 - Anatomy & Physiology
● Why do we need to understand anatomy?
● Understanding our anatomy is fundamental to our health
● Individuals are in an ideal position to identify subtle, yet important (!), changes to their
● Health promotion and disease prevention
● What is genital self-image?
○ Our attitudes and feelings towards our genitals
■ How we feel: are we proud, embarrassed or ashamed?
■ Thoughts of size, small, taste and hair
● Influenced by:
○ Our perception of whether our genitals fit with cultural norms
■ Example: Media and porn
○ Our sexual experiences
○ Child abuse and sexual violence
○ Medical conditions
● What is genital self-image linked to?
○ Sexual satisfaction and desire (not arousal)
● How can we promote a positive genital self-image?
○ Become educated, being non judgemental
● Are there similarities between male and female anatomy?
● But, female anatomy and physiology is more complicated
○ Why? Fluctuating hormones, menstrual cycles, and menopause
● Some sexual anatomy has similar embryonic origins or functions..
○ Come from same thing or origins
○ What body parts are similar to each other
● Mons veneris
○ Covered/ not with hair
● Labia majora
○ Outer lips
○ Sim to scrotum
○ Has fat, more protective
● Labia minora
○ Inner lips
○ Minora has no fat, elastic
○ Function: pleasure
○ Prepuce of clitoris is hood
■ Important why?
● Clitoris is very sensitive and has 8,000 nerve endings
● Prepuce protects it
● Vaginal opening
○ Anything inside lady minora
○ 3 holes in area
Human sexuality - lecture 4 - anatomy & physiology. Understanding our anatomy is fundamental to our health. Individuals are in an ideal position to identify subtle, yet important (! Our attitudes and feelings towards our genitals. Thoughts of size, small, taste and hair. Our perception of whether our genitals fit with cultural norms. But, female anatomy and physiology is more complicated. Some sexual anatomy has similar embryonic origins or functions What body parts are similar to each other. Clitoris is very sensitive and has 8,000 nerve endings. Distance between anus to vaginal opening - anogential distance. Labia minora has fochet which is visible until pregnancy. Covered with pubic hairwhich can be of many different styles! Hair serves chafing, irritation and protects sensitive skin. Pubic hair serves many functionsbut pubic hair removal is very popular. Promoting to get rid of pubic hair. Large folds of skin that run downward from the mons along the sides of the vulva.