Religious Studies 1023E Lecture Notes - Abrahamic Religions, Mosaic Covenant, Tetragrammaton
43 views7 pages
The Abrahamic Religions :
Judaism, Christianity & Islam
Areas of focus for our discussion:
Understanding of Ultimate Reality
One God and God is One
Infinite & Self-existent
Prophets, Revelation and Sacred Texts
- Judaism, islam and christainity originated from one location and one religion.
- Christianity moved from Palestine and Isreal to westwards and north, such as Turkey,
Abraham/Ibrahim – father of the Jewish and Arab nations
“The male head (father) of an ancient family line, a venerable tribal founder or
leader ….” (Harris & Platzner, G-33)
Abraham father of Judaism and Islam.
- Not Christianity, b/c this religion branched out from Judaism.
• BCE – before common era or before christ era
• AD – Anno Dominum ( year of our lord)
• CE – Common era ( 2012).
• Book of genesis is a holy book that is recognized by all the 3 religions
• Originally known as Ibrahim, but God changed his name to Abraham
• Abraham is the founder of monotheism, only one God!
• God asks Abraham to obey him and if he does obey God will fulfill his
• People were polytheistic before Abraham.
• Promise # 1 – grant Abraham and Sara as many children as the stars
• Sara lets Abraham to have a child with the maid and then Sara suddenly gets
pregnant and has Issac.
• Abraham and Haggard have Ishmael as their first son and is known to be the
fonder of Islam.
• Ishmael was the first son and Sara didn’t want Ishmael to get the
inheritance, so they out casted Haggard and Ishmael.
• Read “Red Tent” book!!
• Jacob, who was the younger son of Issac, had many sons and they are the 12
Covenant = Hebrew berith
“An agreement or compact between individuals (e.g., Abraham & Abimelech –
Genesis 21:27); a promise YHWH makes to certain people (e.g., Noah, Abraham,
David); a legal bond YHWH forms with a chosen group, such as Israel, and the
demands God makes in return.” (Harris & Platzner, G-8)
Abrahamic covenant found at Gen 12:1-3, 15:1-21, 17:1-27, 22:15-18
12 Tribes of
Judaism, islam and christainity originated from one location and one religion. Christianity moved from palestine and isreal to westwards and north, such as turkey, Abraham/ibrahim father of the jewish and arab nations. The male head (father) of an ancient family line, a venerable tribal founder or leader . (harris & platzner, g-33) Not christianity, b/c this religion branched out from judaism. Bce before common era or before christ era. Ad anno dominum ( year of our lord) Book of genesis is a holy book that is recognized by all the 3 religions. Originally known as ibrahim, but god changed his name to abraham. Abraham is the founder of monotheism, only one god! God asks abraham to obey him and if he does obey god will fulfill his promises. Promise # 1 grant abraham and sara as many children as the stars. Sara lets abraham to have a child with the maid and then sara suddenly gets pregnant and has issac.