The Abrahamic Religions :
Judaism, Christianity & Islam
Areas of focus for our discussion:
Understanding of Ultimate Reality
One God and God is One
Infinite & Self-existent
Prophets, Revelation and Sacred Texts
- Judaism, islam and christainity originated from one location and one religion.
- Christianity moved from Palestine and Isreal to westwards and north, such as Turkey,
Abraham/Ibrahim – father of the Jewish and Arab nations
“The male head (father) of an ancient family line, a venerable tribal founder or
leader ….” (Harris & Platzner, G-33)
Abraham father of Judaism and Islam.
- Not Christianity, b/c this religion branched out from Judaism. Abraham/Ibrahim
Isla Esa Jaco
m u b
12 Tribes of
• BCE – before common era or before christ era
• AD – Anno Dominum ( year of our lord)
• CE – Common era ( 2012).
• Book of genesis is a holy book that is recognized by all the 3 religions
• Originally known as Ibrahim, but God changed his name to Abraham
• Abraham is the founder of monotheism, only one God!
• God asks Abraham to obey him and if he does obey God will fulfill his
• People were polytheistic before Abraham.
• Promise # 1 – grant Abraham and Sara as many children as the stars
• Sara lets Abraham to have a child with the maid and then Sara suddenly gets
pregnant and has Issac.
• Abraham and Haggard have Ishmael as their first son and is known to be the
fonder of Islam.
• Ishmael was the first son and Sara didn’t want Ishmael to get the
inheritance, so they out casted Haggard and Ishmael.
• Read “Red Tent” book!!
• Jacob, who was the younger son of Issac, had many sons and they are the 12
Covenant = Hebrew berith
“An agreement or compact between individuals (e.g., Abraham & Abimelech –
Genesis 21:27); a promise YHWH makes to certain people (e.g., Noah, Abraham,
David); a legal bond YHWH forms with a chosen group, such as Israel, and the
demands God makes in return.” (Harris & Platzner, G-8)
Abrahamic covenant found at Gen 12:1-3, 15:1-21, 17:1-27, 22:15-18
Abrahamic covenant “The series of promises YHWH makes to the patriarch Abraham, including vows
to give his descendants nationhood, the territory of Canaan, and a line of kings, and
to make them a source of universal blessing.” (Harris & Platzner, G-2)
Jews as understanding themselves as being God’s Chosen People
Abraham as model of faith and obedience to God
• the law uses the word “ covenant”, which is an agreement you make with
• God makes a covenant with 4 people – Abraham, Noah, Moses, David.
• Have sons/ decendents
• have land
• lineage of kings
• source of universal blessing
• Noahan covenant – God promises that he will never flood the world.
• universal covenant – sign of the rainbow on the covenant.
• Mosaic covenant – 10 commandments
• Davidic covenant – last of the covanent.
• God is making promises to the new Isrealites through King David.
• YHWH = tetragrammaton – four letters that spell the name of God
• The tetragrammaton is used to name God in a safe way “I am who I am”.
• This “name” for God comes when one of the moses encounters a theophany
were he sees bushes on fire, but the bush wasn’t burning down, it was just lit
and God told the saint, “I am who I am” and that’s how we get the name
• In many religions, (such as Islam) it is a sin to actually say the name of God
• Theophany = encounter with God
All three religions believe Ultimate reality as GOD
Understanding of Ultimate Reality: One God and God is One
Judaism’s Shema: “Hear, O Israel, the Lord, our God, the Lord is One.”
Islam’s Shahada: “There is no God but God. Muhammad is the Messenger of
Christianity’s Nicene Creed: “We believe in One God, the Father, the
Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things seen and unseen. ….” 1. God is one
2 . God is one on comprehensiveness, which means that the same God, is the God of
death, birth, rain, sun.
Judaism : Shema – “Hear”
Islam: Shahada – “testimony”, it is the first pillar out of the 5 pillars of islam
1 pillar – shahada
2 pillar – Muslims should pray 5 times a day.
3 pillar – Muslims should give to the poor “arms giving” or charity.
4 pillar – fasting during ramadan
5 pillar – Visit the holy place of Mecca once in their lifetime.
Christianity – some christians believed that God is divine and that even though Jesus
was “killed”, he is divine being and so he never died. But others argued that if he
never died and the reason for him dieing was so the sins of the other people would
be destroyed. So if he never died, than the sins of the people never got erased.
- Roman King Constantine made the state religion Christian, instead of polytheism
Nicene Creed – It says that there is one God with 3 forms – God the father, the son
and spirit, therefore the “Trinity”
“Trinity” = Father St. Patrick holds up the clover leaf and explains Christianity as