BI226 2009 Section 2: Mapping in eukaryotes
• Linked genes are located close to each ot her on the same chromosome which prevents
them from assorting independently.
• The genetic map distance be tween linked genes is meas ured as the recombination
frequency of the genes.
• Genetic maps are constructe d by consolidating map distan ces among genes and genetic
• Physicalhromosome maps show the positions of genes and genetic markers on a
chromosome viewed microscopically.
• Chromosome mapping has several applicati ons including marker-assisted selection,
genetic testing, and chromosome walking and jumping.