Premium

4 Pages

Department
Communication Studies
Course Code
CS100
Professor
Jade Miller

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Week 4 (January 29 , 2018) Civilization without Writing The Incas and the Quipu (complex) Marcia Ascher and Robert Ascher Telegraph uses transmission on/off signal to send messages Syntax o Complex o Cuneiform uses complex syntax o Example of poem written with incorrect syntax intentionally (words in order) Quipu is very much the same way more complex (where the strings fall means something) Incan, Sumerian, Egyptian scribes (Ascher reading describes these) o Inca scribe (1300s-1600s AD) o Sumerian clay scribe (2700-1700 BC) o Egyptian papyrus scribe (2700-1700 BC) Whenever there is conqueror or an emerged empire, you have to have a system of writing that emerges Bureaucracy o The more records there are, and the more bureaucracy has experience with them, the more power to the state clear that they are saying bureaucracy enables power (writing enables power you need to rule an empire) o Whenever an empire comes about, a new writing system must come about Why? The idea of bureaucracy there is more to keep track of Quipu vs Writing o Color hundreds (quipu) vs none (Sumer) or two (black and red in Egypt) o No instruments, just fingers and string vs a stylus You just look when reading, you dont use the sense of touch (exception of Braille) o Both need learned skill, quipu skill more sensitive (more training to learn it) o Tactile vs sighted reading o Quipu not linear 3D Being conquered doesnt mean they are less Origins of Writing Andrew Robinson writing is amongst the greatest inventions in human history, perhaps the greatest invention since it made history possible Propaganda king of the world o Get message and information out there no broken telephone Immortality/history focus of Robinson o Everyone dies twice o Many people who have not died their second death (we still have their history in writing, not forgotten yet) Record-keeping Agreements on record o Want to be able to prove statements in writing
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit