GS211 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Industrial Revolution, United States Agency For International Development, Social Evolution

32 views9 pages
5 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Gs211 lesson 1: tracing the idea of development (cid:1) Development: creating the conditions for decent, happy, fair, safe, and sustainable livelihoods, opportunities, and environments for people. What the main players do: ngos, governments, nation-states, private sector, un, civil society/communities and grassroots, relationship between donors and receivers, transfer of capital, people, knowledge, goods, and services, to achieve a form of socially change: Social change: better social services (i. e. in health and education) Cultural change: much more implicit but underlying objective to civilize people historically. There are still western-centric values embedded in development projects. Who are the main players: donor agencies: Un, nato, wb, imf: regional banks (also donors): Iadb, african bank for development, asian bank for. National: i. e. development & peace: private charities, philanthropy, national governments, consultancy groups, contracting agencies/private sector, beneficiaries: the people receiving. Don"t all have the same influence or agency on development. Power differentials: i. e. bill gates vs. john smith.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers