PS270 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Pluralistic Ignorance, Social Rejection, Corporate Crime

36 views8 pages
2 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

We don"t always know what to do in new situations. Young children learn by mimicry or imitation: informative function. I"ve never been here before so i"ll watch my parents: social bonding function. When we observe something happening, the same parts of our brain get activated when we actually do those things: mirror neurons , chameleon effect. Copy the people we"re around, outside of our consciousness. When you mimic, the interaction feels like it goes more smoothly than when you interact with people who do not mimic. Occurs when people"s own responses (behaviours, attitudes, judgments) are influenced by the actions of others. When people alter their responses to go along with others. Social psychologists also use the term social influence . Classic research on conformity sherif studies of norm formation: cover story: perception experiment. Stare at point of light and it appears to start moving because our eyeballs are always moving: judgment task.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers