Administrative Studies
Course
ADMS 2610
Professor
William Pomerantz
Semester
Winter

Description
5.1 . Week 5 Chapter 4 Intentional Torts Tort - a wrong commited by one person to another - Interference with a persons - Property - Person - reputation Trying to hurt someone Assault - (threat of violence or injury) Battery (actual physical contact) - with intention to cause harm OR - Without consent (e.g. Surgeon) OR - E.g. Jehovah not allowed blood transfusion - surgeon gave them one - they sued - Doctor is not liable - In anger OR - Accompanied by threat of violence or injury Defences: i) Provocation (only affects punitive damages) ii) Self-defence (only if force used reasonable and necessary) E.g. Bouncer removes patron that they dont want the drunk person there, Drunk person re- sists because they are so drunk, the bouncer pushed the guy lightly and the guy fell, the guy comes back and the bouncer beats the guy up - Bouncer claims Self defence - NOT SELF DE- FENCE because the person was way to drunk to defend themselves False Imprisonment (e.g. Shopkeepers) - restraint or confinement of individual by person who has no lawful right to do so (exception - po- lice with reasonable grounds) Defences (but should still contact police immediately): - person seized in process of committing a crime - Innocent person falsely seized but with reasonable and probably grounds to believe that person committed a crime (not mere suspicion) Defamation - False statements that significantly injure one’s private, professional, or business reputation - statements or gestures that are spoken 5.2 B) Slander - (spoken) statements or gestures C) Libel (e.g. Printed slander) Defences i) true; ii) Absolute privilege (e.g. Parliament, courts, public inquiries, etc) iii) Qualified privilege (e.g. Letter of reference, fair comment and criticism in matters of public interest) - if statement made in good faith (e.g. Malicious intent) with an honest belief in its accura- cy - TMZ - criticiaing public figures - Not defamation - if it is our opinion and we believe it - can’t be sued for it - PUBLIC FIGURES are allowed to accept fair comments - at least 1 third party has to hear it - Has to ruin reputation #1 defense to defamation is TRUTH Conversion or Trespass to Goods - Wrongful taking of the goods of another (e.g., refuse to return goods you are storing for owner) - Willful damage of goods while in owner’s possession (e.g., puncturing tires of cars on dealer’s lot) Business-Related Torts and Crimes Slander of Goods - Statement alleging that the goods of a competitor are defective, shoddy or injurious to the health of a consumer - salesperson: don;t buy the other store’s plasma televisions, I’ve checked them out and they’re all defective Making comments that are not true about competitors Slander of Title - an untrue statement about the right of another to the ownership of goods - sales person: you don’t want to buy the other store’s Toronto Maple Leafs hockey shirts, they’re not even officially licensed NHLproducts Injurious falsehood - false statements about a firm, its products, or business practices intended to dissuade others from doing business with the firm 5.3 - general saying: may say competitor is bankrupt when they’re not, going after com- petitor in a general way, example saying the business doesn’t pay taxes - ruin reputa- tion of competitor Conspiracies in Restraint of Trade - agreement between firms to fix prices, injure competition, or prevent others from entering a mar- ket - gas station manager to another why don’t you duplicate my gas prices this month, and I’ll copy your prices next month? Fraudulent Misrepresentation (i.e., Deceit) - a tort that arises when a party suffers damage by acting upon a false representation made by a part with the intention of deceiving the other Fraudulent Conversion of Goods Supposed Employee: I’m the personal assistant of Bill Gates, and he wants his new Xbox 360 delivered tomorrow. Unfair Business Practices Salesperson: I just make a killing selling that used car that was ruined in the flood to that
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 2610

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit