Canadian Business Culture and Management Skills
ADMS 3020 Fall 2011 – Professor Eytan Lasry
Lecture 7 – Leading Positive Change – Nov 1
Leadership vs. Management
- Characteristics of leaders:
o Set direction.
o Initiate change.
o Create something new.
- Characteristics of managers:
o Maintain steadiness.
o Control variance.
o Keep the status quo.
Inertia and Change
- Organizations are designed to favour stability and predictable outcomes.
- Changes that disrupt an organization’s routines and processes compromise its stable and
- Radical change is thus very disruptive, costly and rarely successful (particularly in old
and large organizations).
- The larger and more certain returns to the exploitation of wellhoned routines impede the
exploration of novel alternatives.
- Successful innovation and organizational change requires carefully balancing exploitation
A Framework for Positive Change
Establish a positive climate ▯create readin▯ rticulate vision ▯generate commitment ▯
institutionalize the change.
- This is a circular cycle.
Establish a Positive Climate
- Create a positive energy network.
- Ensure a climate of compassion, forgiveness, and gratitude.
- Focus attention on strengths and the best self. Creating Readiness for Change
- Benchmark best practices.
- Institute symbolic events: an event used to signify a new future.
o i.e. Chrysler’s and Iacocca’s ceremony to inspire a ‘new era’.
- Create a new language to describe old realities.
o i.e. Disney employees are called ‘cast members,’ their uniforms are ‘costumes’.
- Visions speak to the heart and the head.
- They include universal values.
- They help d