BIOL 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Zygosity, Chinese Mantis, Mate Choice

38 views5 pages

Document Summary

The ones with the sharpest plumage get the best territories. And multiple females, up to a harem of six females. If you blacken his wings, he loses his territory and his harem. Sexual selection is greater on the sex that invests les. Variability in fitness is greater in the sex that invests less: variability in fitness differs between sexes, in a minority of species, there is a sex role reversal that help to balance the disparities. Phalaropes: females are: larger and more colourful than males, compete with other females, are likely to have more than one male partner. Which leads to males incubating the eggs and raising the young: ideas about the mechanisms and consequences of sexual selection. Sexually selected traits indicate good genes, in the sense of good allele choices: alleles fo(cid:396) su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)o(cid:396)ship: (cid:858)(cid:859)ho(cid:374)est i(cid:374)di(cid:272)ato(cid:396)s(cid:859)(cid:859) a(cid:374)d also the (cid:858)(cid:859)ha(cid:374)di(cid:272)ap p(cid:396)i(cid:374)(cid:272)iple(cid:859)(cid:859, e. g. for honest indicators : zebra finches. Colour can be costly to produce; red and yellow involve carotenoids.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers