Class Notes (810,512)
Canada (494,140)
York University (33,691)
Biology (2,149)
BIOL 1001 (250)
Tamara Kelly (105)

Feb 14.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
BIOL 1001
Tamara Kelly

Feb 14/14 Bottle neck - catastrophic event happens - limiting genetic variation Founders effect - smaller population moves Gene flow - populations migrates • Some genes - neutral mutation (CGT/CGG/CGA = Arg) can lead to fixed allele frequency • If a neutral allele has 0.7 frequency - it has 70% chance of being fixed and 30% chance of being lost • Genetic drift reduces genetic variation • Endangered - at risk of becoming extinct • Critically endangered - will decrease tremendously within 3 generations • Non-random mating - small population very limited choice - female chooses usually (very particular) • Positive assortive mating - heterozygosty in pop decrease • Negative assortive mating - dissimilar to you (when mating) increases proportion in heterozygotes population Clicker question - C • Does not increase rate of mutation (inbreeding- mating within a population) therefore nothing happens because mutation is done at genetic level • Does not increase level of frequency of recessive alleles - if both siblings are heterozygotes the homozygous recessive allele is 25% - therefore the number of big A is 1/2 and little a 1/2 therefore it doesn't increase nor decrease. • It changes genotyp
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1001

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.