BIOL 4380 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Retinal Pigment Epithelium, Photoreceptor Cell, Amacrine Cell

50 views3 pages
There are 2 types of photoreceptors: rods and cones. Second type of type of neuron is called a
bipolar cell which cell bodies are located in the inner nuclear layer. Toward the distal we have
horizontal neurons, are innervated by multiple photoreceptor neurons. On the other side of
axons we have amacrine cells which are similar to horizontal cells.bipolar cells can be considered
interneurons.
At the very proximal layer we have ganglion cells which are the ones that contribute their axons
to the optic nerve that ultimately to the brain.
Is horizontal cell pre or postsynaptic to the bipolar cell synapse? Presynaptic. Horizontal cells
synapse with photoreceptors. The signals the receptors send to bipolars are modified by
horizontal cells.
The receptors outer segets otai disks, i ase of rods it’s erae eapsulated
organelles. In cones, there are no inner membrane enclosed, they form protrusions with PM of
the cell. The region where the rod or the cone meets the rest of the cytoplasm is called the
cilium. Each one produces a single axon with multiple processes at the terminal.
Reeptors are faig away fro the light! Not partiularly itelliget desig. It’s ot etirely
understood this is the way it is, but one of the reason is because the interphase between the
pigment epithelium and the receptors is a very special place that can only be located distally. As
these disks (which contain photoreceptor molecules) are hit with light, the molecule that
catches the photon irreversably changes. Therefore, all of the disks have to be recharged
somehow with retinal. The pigment cells form encapsulating covers around the rods and the
disks are generated closer to the cell body, keep regenerating dorsally and as they move dorsally
they separate form the rod and are ultimately endocytosed by the pigment cell. Once they are in
the pigment cell, they can be recycled, are removed and the new ones are formed. Pigment cells
a’t e loated i the frot of rods ad oes, eause the ost of the light would e
absorbed by epithelium.
They took a student and injected him with radioactive something! And then followed over 12
day period and noticed that radioactivity moves along the rod into the pigment cell and
accumulates in the epithelial cells.
There’s soethig uusual about the way that a receptor responds to a photon. What is
unusual here? The resting potential is not in the normal range is at -40 and the stimulus instead
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

There are 2 types of photoreceptors: rods and cones. Second type of type of neuron is called a bipolar cell which cell bodies are located in the inner nuclear layer. Toward the distal we have horizontal neurons, are innervated by multiple photoreceptor neurons. The signals the receptors send to bipolars are modified by horizontal cells: the receptors outer seg(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374) disks, i(cid:374) (cid:272)ase of rods it"s (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ra(cid:374)e e(cid:374)(cid:272)apsulated organelles. In cones, there are no inner membrane enclosed, they form protrusions with pm of the cell. The region where the rod or the cone meets the rest of the cytoplasm is called the cilium. Each one produces a single axon with multiple processes at the terminal: re(cid:272)eptors are fa(cid:272)i(cid:374)g away fro(cid:373) the light! It"s (cid:374)ot e(cid:374)tirely understood this is the way it is, but one of the reason is because the interphase between the pigment epithelium and the receptors is a very special place that can only be located distally.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers