Jan 23 - Lecture.docx

4 Pages

Department
Communication Studies
Course Code
COMN 2111
Professor
Dalton Kehoe

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – January 23 , 2013rd Three Modes of Talk Effective Communication • Getting good information from others • Giving good information to others • “Good” – truthful, accurate, relevant, understandable o So you both can make an informed choice o And act from commitment not coercion or manipulation • Good information provides answers to three key questions: o What’s going on? o Who am I to you and who are you to me? o What’s going to happen next? • The second quethion speaks to our need to be right o The 7  axiom – people need to be or feel right in the midst of conversation o One of the strongest drives in human beings is the need to be/feel right Conventional Discussion • Whether or not we are consciously aware of wanting to be right, the underlying  desire can influence the tone and outcome of our interactions • Our words are extensions of our selves. “Face” Discussion – Line and Face In discussion • We take a like: o We express our views – a pattern of verbal and non­verbal acts • Through this our evaluation of others and ourselves • The line supports a “face”: o Social values we claim for themselves o By the line others assumed we’ve taken in the situation Face and Feelings • We instantly react to our face • “feelings” attached to it • If encounter sustains o A face long taken for granted, feelings not noticed o A face better than expected: feels good o A face less than expected: “feel bad or hurt” o Uncontrolled or unpredictable behavior can cause “loss of face” –  embarrassment, pain, humiliation Face is not a choice: the axioms Interpersonal communication: • Is an exchange of “selves” and messages • Cannot not happen • Cant be taken back • Always mixes messages – content and relationship • Always mixes media – verbal and non­verbal Types of Talk • CONNECT (small) talk • C.O.N.T.R.O.L talk o Light or heavy • D.I.A.L.O.G.U.E talk Connect Talk (Small talk) • Ritual connection talk • Small talk o Its how we demonstrate communication competence o Knowing rules of communication interaction o Communication rules are shared understandings of what communication  means and what behaviors are appropriate in various situations (context) o Forms of address, effects of status  Adjust for context  Non­verbal rules of interaction • When to start, stop, interrupt, etc. The Context • The environment in which the communication occurs • Influences the content and form of communication Context and Rules • Closer in space – more personal messages • More intimate – more affection • High status receiver – humbler sender • Listener highly ego involved – respectful or complimentary me
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit