Communication Studies
Course
COMN 2111
Professor
Dalton Kehoe
Semester
Fall

Description
Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – February 13 , 2014 From Control talk to Dialogue Talk Dialogue Talk Requires a shift… • From trying to control the other • To managing yourself and getting self under control Managing Yourself • Its about the U.E in the Dialogue model • Understanding first – suspend your judgment o Asking yourself, “what’s going on here?” (this interrupts the process the  brain goes through that can lead to a hijack) • Emotional self­Management – hot to cool feelings o Manage automatic quick and emotional reactions o Avoid saying the first thing that comes to your mind o Cool yourself down o Relax muscles, breathe from the diaphragm o Change your ego state – from angry parent or child to an adult state The Adult Ego State: The “Voice” of self­management Words Used: How What Where Who Uses “I” messages:  I see I hear I feel I wonder Let’s see what we can find Voice Tone Modulated Appropriate Controlled, cal  Straight Confident Corresponds to feelings Non­verbals Relaxed Thoughtful Looks up (as if in search of answers) it seems to me Brow wrinkles when thinking Attentive Engaged Assumptions of Dialogue Talk • Solve problems, not save face – I manage myself, not the other • We both have to change • My story is my story – this is obvious only to me • You have your story – its only obvious to you. I cant tell you how to think or  believe • I have all the data and your side of the story only when I listen to your story • When im clarifying and speaking about whats going on, im only clarifying what I  understand – I clarify my meaning only • How did we contribute to this situation? Dialogue style elements • Descriptive language to explain the situation o Non­judgmental o Assume as little as possible • I messages to tell my story o Acknowledge the other’s concerns o Describe the behavior you’ve observed o Say how you feel about
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit