Focusing the Research Question: Doing a lot with a little
Workable Research Questions
• Table 6.1:
• Answerability— asking the right question should point you to where you will find
the right answer
• Interconnectedness—the how and what and why questions are interconnected
• Substantively Relevant
• Research Topic (Silverman, pg. 83):
– Always keep an eye out for researchable questions
– Take advantage of opportunities
– Be flexible
Role of Research Question (83, 6.2)
• Organize the project and give it direction and coherence
• Delimit the project
• Keep the researcher focused
• Provide a framework for your write-up
• Point to methods and data that will be needed
Good & Bad Questions
Bad Questions Good Questions
What are the factors? How or why did X Develop? What is the effectiveness of X according to How do people respond to X?
certain fixed indicators?
What are the factors, processes, and How do people experience X?
sources of X?
What causes X? What is going on here?
Qualitative= relationship between more than 2 variables.
Lit Review Questions
• Where does the study fit in relation to the relevant literature?
• What is the connection to that literature?
• How will your research m