English
Course
EN 1006
Professor
Alison Halsall
Semester
Winter

Description
Victorian Dramatic Monologues “the woman question”  Constructing an identity through poetry  The Vietnam crisis of faith Victorian  Moral Attributes  Character  Duty  Will  Earnestness  Hard work  Respectable behaviour  Thrift “The Woman Question”  Argument about nature and role of women in 1870s: petitions to parliament advocate woman’s suffrage  Married woman’s property acts allowed woman to own and handle property  Woman working in factories An Artists Studio  Transformation of a woman into an image of a woman  Criticizes image of a real woman  In portraits woman is depicted as a vibrant woman  Artists feeds in an exploited and hungry fasion  Painter cannot capture her as she is, other than through a set of metaphors  A painter can only depict how she was, but not how she is as she fills his dream  Objectification of model The Dramatic Monologue: A poem delivered as though by a single imagined person, the speaker is not to be identified with the poet  One speaker who gives his or her perspective, which is normally weird  Written in form of individual’s speech  Grants psychological insight into character  Directed to imagined listener  Browning chooses unexpected point of view that forces reader to accept unfamiliar perspective o Is capable of startling changes of focus within a poem o Use of irony My Last Duchess  Ferrara’s jealousy: o Of attention wife received from men o Of wife’s ability to be flattered  Offended by wife’s lack of gratitude ] o By wife’s lack of attention  “I choose/Never to stoop”  Ferrara’s possessiveness  Use of the word ‘my’  Is the duke of Ferarra  How do we know Ferarra is speaking? He poses questions  Implied listener  Who is he speaking to, who is he addressing
More Less

Related notes for EN 1006

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit