Professional Writing: Process and Practice
EN 1700 – Fall/Winter 2009/2010 – Jan Rehner
Lecture 2 – Current Traditional Method / Composition Theory / Process
Writing / Post Process Theory / Thinking of Thinking – Sept 21
Current Traditional Method
- Products centered -> modes of discourse -> linear model.
- Product centered: 5 paragraph structure.
- Modes of discourse: different styles and forms of writing – descriptions,
- Linear model: one method.
o Analyzing the assignment
o Read and makes notes.
o Formulate a thesis
- Thesis statement required (clear and concise)
- Product is assessed through rules – dos and don’ts.
- Assignments are rule bond, making writers to critical in the process of their
- Too focused on the rules.
- Pedadogy – is the practice of teaching.
- ‘Rely less at first on doubting and more on believing. Less on self-criticism and
more on imagination.’
- Process of ideas, focus on the actual act of writing.
- Process ->
o -> social (Faigley & Bizzell)
o -> cognitive (Flower Hayes)
o -> Expressive (Elbow)
o -> Cognitive & Expressive (Emig)
- Writing is not linear.
- Process that is recursive; redoing, revising.
- Multiple strategies – different ways to start.
- Writing is the most powerful tool for thinking.
- Not just for communicating but also discovery.
Expressive - Elbow, Emig.
o Elbow – Agency of the individual writer. You have voice that a writer brings
to every piece. Most powerful: Conscious and Unconscious mind.
o Emig – Creative recognition: when the writer is so focused that the rest of
the world is disappearing.
Rituals and fetishes when writing – you can only write at a
particular time or place.
We do these compulsive acts – in order to overcome the struggle to
write the first word.
Pre-writing: pacing and thinking research.
Writing/drafting: taking part of the bigger structure.
Revision: is not editing, it is re-thinking.
- Flower, Hayes
- Monitor – is the inner voice that oversees wh