ENVS 1500 Lecture 30: ENVS 1500 Lecture 30 Notes

13 views2 pages
ENVS 1500 Lecture 30 Notes Consistent View
Introduction
The file management system provides a consistent view of files across different I/O
devices.
This view even extends to files located elsewhere, on devices accessible from a network.
To the user, file requests operate in the same way independent of the device, even
between devices of different characteristics.
Thus, it is not necessary to know the physical differences between, say, disk and tape, to
move a file from one to the other.
A program can request file services without knowing the file structure of the device
being addressed, indeed without even knowing what kind of device the file is stored on.
The file management system provides and maintains
Directory structures for each I/O device in the system and tools to access and move
around these structures
The directory structure allows the retrieval and storage of files by name, keeps track of
the mappings, allocates and frees space, allows the mounting and unmounting of file
structures, and provides other functions required to maintain the structures of the file
system.
Provisions are made to move easily from one structure to another.
Tools that copy and move files from one I/O device to another and from one directory
to another, merge files, create and delete files and directories, and undertake other
basic file manipulations
Information about each file in the system and tools to access that information
Typically, information about a file might include its name, type of file, size, date and
time of creation, date and time of the most recent update, and protection and backup
characteristics.
Security mechanisms to protect files and control and limit file access to authorized
users.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class