On individual and social forms
Making sense of the city
- Characteristics of the stranger – inviting us to think about an actual stranger
- Allowing us to think of the stranger :
Jews were taxed the same( head tax), while the Christians and wealthy people were not.
*Jews were considered outsiders and were not full fledge members of society .
- trading attracted them because it allowed them to trade and move around to different
-the stranger has both an attachment(closeness) & detachment(remoteness) to the society
that they are a part of
- whatever we are looking at we want to be invested in ex:Rob Ford- we are invested in
any kind of work in relation to rob ford. we take what we do seriously
- The stranger take his or her attachment seriously but also a detachment( remoteness)
because if your too heavily invested in something you lose perspective you become blind.
Don’t get too close, closeness blinds you.
- Ex: medusa & the shield : her reflection kills her
- Ex:parent&child: the child is always good , does nothing wrong
“ The potential wander...has not quite gotten over the freedom of coming and going “
– the person stays , doesn’t leave
The stranger is not beholden to anyone , has the ability to come and go
Stranger- both insider& outsider ( its an attitude)
Insider( you know some stuff) outsider( suspend what you know , take a view as an
outsider) outsider can also be traveling to another country- look at the world with
wonder as if you’re seeing it for the first time.
Harold Garfingle - Breaching experiment: see the rules that every people follow,
Its rules that we don’t know but we just do . to break the rules makes people realize
Elevator experiment: students facing the person entering the elevator getting close
Breaking the order of everyday
Freedom from pardismship - don’t need to defend anyone or take sides allows you to
enjoy everything overall. You will learn “ the stranger is an element of the group itself..an element whose membership within the
group involves both outside it & confronting it “ – ( the member belongs & knows & is
apart of it )
The stranger is stimulated by the everyday or ever day discussion ( in the same way that
the strangeness of situations and practises gain our attention )– everyday roles
Term: Roles ( everyday roles) : The function assumed or par