JULY 30.docx

6 Pages

Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 1825
Professor
all

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
JULY 30: CAMUS’ THE PLAGUE 1. Describe in detail the impact the plague crisis had on the general population of Oran. What regulations were implemented? What impact did the crisis have on people? - cholera epidemic that killed a large percentage of Oran's population - thousands of rats, initially unnoticed by the populace, begin to die in the streets. A hysteria develops soon afterward, causing the local newspapers to report the incident. Authorities responding to public pressure order the collection and cremation of the rats, unaware that the collection itself was the catalyst for the spread of the bubonic plague. - The town is sealed off. The town gates are shut, rail travel is prohibited, and all mail service is suspended. The use of telephone lines is restricted only to "urgent" calls, leaving short telegrams as the only means of communicating with friends or family outside the town. The separation affects daily activity and depresses the spirit of the townspeople, who begin to feel isolated and introverted, and the plague begins to affect various characters. 2. When Rieux denied Rambert’s request for a certificate which would allow the latter to leave the city, Rambert said bitterly: “No…you can’t understand. You’re using the language of reason, not of the heart; you live in a world of…abstraction” (p.82). How do Rieux and Rambert differ in their perspectives on the plague? In your answer interpret the distinction between “abstraction” and “happiness”, and why Rieux does not share Rambert’s intense desire to escape from Oran. See also pages 157-159, 182-183, 199-200. Raymond Rambert asks the town doctor, Bernard Rieux for a certificate stating that he is plague-free, in order that he might leave the quarantined city of Oran and be reunited in Paris with his girlfriend. When his request is refused, Rambert angrily accuses Rieux of being incapable of understanding his situation: You're using the language of reason, not of the heart; you live in a world of abstractions. After Rambert's departure, Rieux muses on his accusation: Yes, the journalist was right in refusing to be balked of happiness. But was he right in reproaching him, Rieux, with living in a world of abstractions? Could that term “abstraction” really apply to these days he spent in his hospital while the plague was battening on the town ...? Yes, an element of abstraction, of a divorce from reality, entered into such calamities. Still when abstraction sets to killing you, you've got to get busy with it. And so much Rieux knew: that this wasn't the easiest course. The answer to both of Rieux's reflexive questions is no. Rieux, in fact, isn't dealing with abstractions, or ideas at all when he refuses Rambert's request—he is reacting rationally to unforeseen events that have befallen Oran. In addition to working long clinical hours, diagnosing and treating contagious patients, he helps convince city health officials to institute measures for inoculating the city's populace at the earliest possible time, in an effort to stem spreading of the disease. Rieux does what he has to do in the face of calamity, out of a sense of responsibility to himself, as a citizen of Oran and the community, as a doctor who has pledged to treat and heal the sick, even if his own well being is threatened in turn. 3. Explain Paneloux’s perspective on the plague. See pages 89-95 and 214-223. Father Paneloux is a priest in the story. During the beginning trials of the plague, he delivered a sermon to the people of Oran, declaring that the plague was sent by God to punish them for their sins. 4. Camus seems to suggest that Rieux, Tarrou and Grand respond to the crisis in the most exemplary way. Explain the perspective these heroes (or, rather, non-heroes) had on the crisis. See pages 121-124, 133, 158. No one takes a stand and resists death except Rieux and Tarrou. Rieux and Tarrou do seem to show the same level of heroism. Both resist the plague, both are symbolically cleansed in the river, and both record the events of Oran. Brée thinks that for Rieux "morality is first of all a question of curing people (150)." Rieux fights the plague only because he sees it as his duty, and one has to wonder if he would have done anything if he wasn't a doctor. He views the plague as "a never-ending defeat." Tarrou acts for a more noble purpose: to gain sainthood. (Paneloux might also be considered a hero for this reason, but he doesn't fight the plague as Tarrou does.) Tarrou sacrifices his life, and thus pays more for his heroism than Rieux. By the end of the book Rieux has been reduced to methodically diagnosing patients, while Tarrou has died and supposedly attained sainthood. Tarrou accomplishes his goal, but Rieux hasn't been able to cure everyone of the plague. What is the plague which Tarrou is fighting? Some see it as a parable for the Occupation (Bloom 107), with Oran being France, the men rebels, and the plague Nazism. If this is so, why does the plague carry off the Catholic priest and M. Othon's son? Austin Fowler (Dep. of English, NY state university) says that the plague is death itself, common to all men. Camus, then, is showing how different people react to death. Through Tarrou, Camus shows how to heroically deal with death. Tarrou falls in with Deucalion and the worms in God's garden as an example of "the cataracts of heaven". Since one of his goals was not to be a carrier of plague, the plague strikes him. Like most of the characters in this chapter, he resists his fate even to his deathbed. Camus shows us that the constant act of resisting, the unwillingness to accept death, makes us saints. Paneloux, for all his religious beliefs, chooses not to fight the plague and misses out on sainthood. Rieux resists not because he hates death but because he's a doctor. He becomes almost indifferent to suffering in his narration and actions, so the plague doesn't "punish" him. Camus has obviously set Tarrou up to be a hero in the plague. He's the only hero because nobody except Rieux comes close to fighting the plague, and Rieux only acts to fulfill his obligation as a doctor. He's a saint because he resists death and fate and thus attains sainthood. He's a hero because he provides a correct model on how to deal with death. For fighting the plague, he gets symbolically crushed. Without Tarrou, "The Plague" wouldn't have the hero common to almost all literature. 5. What is Cottard’s perspective on, and reaction to, the plague? Why does Tarrou describe him as the plague’s “accomplice”? See pages 184-189, 290-295. Cottard is totally pumped about the plague when he bumps into Dr. Rieux on the street. Could things get any better? Surely not! It’s like a black-market shady smuggler’s dream come true. Cottard overhears Rambert discussing his "I wish I could get out of Oran already" plight with Rieux. He approaches the journalist the next day and offers to help, mostly so he can have yet another "friend" willing to testify in his favor. Cottard meets with Tarrou and Rieux and is none-too-happy to hear of a man’s recovery from the plague. When Tarrou suggests that he help fight the pestilence, he responds that that simply isn’t his job. Besides, he says, the plague has been treating him well – why would he want to fight it? When Tarrou suggests that Cottard could be arrested for his actions, he flips out. Publicly. This guy does not have a check for his emotional volatility. Cottard reveals that he did something illegal years ago. He won’t say what, but he does explain that it wasn’t murder. This supposedly explains his paranoia – he’s afraid of getting caught. Cottard can’t help Rambert after his first escape attempt fails, since he doesn’t know where Gonzales lives. The next morning, Cottard goes with Rieux to find Garcia again. Tarrou develops an intense interest in Cottard. He (Cottard that
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit