Book 16. Line 1-32
• continued to stay in the hut of the swineherd
• returns in the state of need (relying on the gifts of others)
• Telemachus reunites with the swineherd, after long trip home
• shows emptiness of Telemachus
• athena decides to show odysseus his true form to his son
• so that they both can take over the suitors
• how does son know?
• proclaims himself as odysseus to his son (reveals himself)
• two men and start weeping
• asserts that fatherly control
• image of child loosing father, (hawk and birds)
• plans to take on the 108 suitors
• remains in disguise to go to the palace
• they will remove all weapons - so the suitors can't get their hands on them
• testing out the household, who can be trusted to not know about the kings return?
• suitors don't want to kill Telemachus right away
• some of the suitors act as informants to the queen, as well as the maids
Book 17. Line 339-343
• odysseus is moving close to the palace, disguised as a beggar with swineherd
• pointing out key aspect: "tightening"
• home is symbol of fidelity, strength, how some women leave and some stay and support it
• odysseus comes into the courtyard
• argos: the moment of recognition - to recognize the king when he comes home
• a bounded relationship, that he lets his master be aware of his presence
• swineherd claims odysseus is dead
• farewell of the dog to his master, recognition of the lost - first well seen and coming back as different people
• odysseus enters home and suitors are beating him up
• queen can know of the events that are happening
• queen knows something? will she recognize him?
Book 18. Line 200-267
• competition of two beggars (odysseus and a real beggar)
• queen sees