Humanities
Course
HUMA 1160
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Rene Deucard (Cartesian) ­ Meditation first philosophy (caravan first philosophy)  Course Kit – HUMA 1160 9.0 A ­ Regulai pg. 1 – 49                                                               The Principles of Philosophy pg. 202 – 227                                                               Replies to Objection 2 pg 30 ­52        Meditation Intro pg 1 – 33        Meditation pg. 33 – 40                               Pg. 45 ­ 100 David Hume ­ Dialogues concerning natural religion (caravan first philosophy) Thomas Hobbes – Leviathon (Library of liberal arts edition) st nd rd th 4 Inclass tests 1  20 2 30 3 30 4  20 Immanuel Kant believed: 3 relevant questions in philosophy st 1  what can I know? Know as the study of epistemology (the study of knowledge  knowing) 2  What I ought to do? – Our duties and responsibilities (ethics or moral philosophy) rd 3  What can I hope for? – Whats to become of me for doing good (study of escapology) The Enlightenment ­  Revolutionaries ­  believed they were revolutionaries ­  Medieveal thinkers believed all the did was study texts (exegeses) ­ 2 sourses of texts they were exegesing 1. Bible 2. Plato/ Aristotle  ­ truths in the bible were the same as plato/Aristotle Descatres  ­ he came and started thinking differently a focus on science ­ a new notion of proof became paramount ­ whats makes proof possib? An important question ­ An excepted method of investigation is the answer ­ In science there were incredible strides in mathematics/physical sciences ­ Important thing about each was that they could prove what they were talking  about ­ Medieval thinkers had no method so couldn’t establish the truth ­  This was the first revelation Descatres made  ­ descatres decided in order for this revolution to take place we have to focus on  method ­ he pointed out the physical sciences pointed out observation of experiments  ­ Descartes argued the difficulty with the sciences Im
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1160

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit