Stories in Diverse Media (AP HUMA 1780B) – Wednesday
October 10, 2012
Main features of Christian mysticism
- Monastic phenomenon: isolation, penitence, prayer, charity;
- Universal, egalitarian appeal: women & men;
- Emancipatory potential for women;
- Audience: monastic environment (consolation & spiritual guidance); larger Christian readership;
perhaps, all monotheistic traditions.
- Journey whose end is the mystical ecstasy or rapture;
- Mystical ecstasy entails: 1. Union with the divine (God), 2. Transiency, 3. Passivity, 4. Testimony,
5. Knowledge of God.
- God of mystics;
- Mysterious, unfathomable, distant, silent;
- Terrifying; => wholly other/different
- Merciful, fascinating, & omniscient.
- Incommunicability (of suffering or ecstatic experience);
- Mystic’s despair, abandonment, emptiness.
- Authentic religious experience (genuine faith);
- Essentially negative side of the search for God;
- Apodictic and instrumental understanding of suffering;
- Infinite otherness of the absolute.
- God can become the spider god or the god of love, god is unpredictable, you can grasp him a