KINE 2049 Lecture 20: Midterm 1 notes

9 Pages

Department
Kinesiology & Health Science
Course Code
KINE 2049
Professor
Merv Mosher

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
TOPIC 1 Characteristics of research: 1. Carefully designed 2. Research is objective & logical w/o bias 3. Expertise in the field of research is required (know the techniques) 4. Development of generalizations (ability to predict future occurrences) 5. Based in empirical evidence (observe, measure and experiment) 6. Gather new data/use existing for new purposes (primary sources are used) 7. Requires accurate observation & description (quantitative measuring) 8. Careful recording (result published for others to examine) 9. Patient activity and analysis (very often failures) 10. Replication (confirm or raise questions) 11. 3 stages of truth (requires courage): Ridicule, opposition (most ppl will oppoe at first) & self-evident (few early supporters grow to enter the mainstream of knowledge) 12. Reductive (present things in the simplest way) Level of knowledge (descending order) 1. description 2. Prediction 3. Control 4. explanation Pyramid of Evidence: (1 being most effective and empirical) 1. RCT: Randomized & Controlled 2. COntrolled but not randomized 3. Cohort/case control 4. Multiple times series 5. Expert opinion Ways of knowing: 1. Custom & tradition [1-4 years] 2. Authority [5+ yrs] = teachers, school, religious leaders etc. 3. Personal experience = supersition 4. Reasoning: Inductive (small -> large) & deductive (general -> specific) 5. Scientific inquiry: problem inquiry, hypothesis, data collection, analysis, acception or rejection of hypothesis, conclusion AAR [Absolute Risk Reduction]: CER - EER RRR [Relative Risk Reduction]: ER - EER) / CER Baseline risk is looked at in regards to RRR: if the initial baseline is low then the intervention is not going to be as effective NNT [Number needed to treat]: 1/AAR (inverse of AAR) CER = control group event rate EER = experimental group event rate Relative Risk & Relative risk reduction RR (relative risk) = Probability of event when exposed / Probability of event when non-exposed Ability to compare the risks of exposure vs. non-exposure Shows how many times an outcome is developed in an exposed group relative to a non-exposed group RR = 1 = no risk if outcome (no significant difference) RR > 1 = increased risk of outcome RR < 1 decreased risk of outcome Tenure: protects academic freedom, unpopular research is protected/support by faculty for faculty members Research = finding solutions to problems in a logical, orderly & systematic manner Professional responsibilities = must be current research/solutions to ongoing problems and we should all be consumers of research The research process define/select a problem Develop a hypothesis Review the literature Determine the measures Describe the subjects Design the research study identity / develop the measuring Conduct the study Analyze the data Conclusions Research report The nature and purpose of research: research is an organised attempt to obtain knowledge(facts/truth) Develop new knowledge when possible Modify present information/knowledge when appropriate When necessary, correct old knowledge Gold standard = RCT: allows us to evaluate all research designs. Understand the limitations of other designs Scientific axioms: ACCID-EPS Amorality: knowledge & morality = independent Caution: new knowledge is accepted cautiously Consistency: the worlds if orderly & remains so for long periods of time Determinism: the cause of events can be determined & take place for a reason Empiricism: knowledge should be based on observation Intelligibility: humans have the ability to understand the world Parsimony: simple explanations are preferable Skepticism: knowledge remains open to criticism or challenge Research Terms 1. Hypothesis: based on facts from prior research/theory. Simple, clear & testable 2. Directional (research) hypothesis & Null hypothesis: only null can be tested statistically 3. Facts & theory Types of Research Basic & applied: pure research for fun vs. research conducted to solve immediate problems Qualitative & quantitative: observations to determine reasons for behaviour, answers why questions vs. answer how many, what size and numbers involved. Cant capture the role of the human experience Descriptive & experimental: gather info about naturally occurring events. Uses surveys, observation, correlation vs. manipulate variables to understand the cause and effect relationships Longitudinal & cross-sectional: same subjects for studied repeatedly for long periods of time (correlational) vs. subjects are measured at the same time Human & animal: humans used as subjects vs. animals used as subjects Animal research Observational research: gain knowledge by observing
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit