Kinesiology & Health Science
Course
KINE 3350
Professor
Kathy Broderick
Semester
Fall

Description
th Basic Concept of Aging (10 Jan, 2011 Lecture Notes) Basic Concepts of Aging: 1. NormalAging  People are now differentiating from normal aging and aging from disease  Age does not correlate with disease but it does make it more likely  Medically there may not be anything wrong with you and the body just wares out = normal aging  Today we even fight normal aging with all the technology to get new hips, heart, and anti-aging etc 2. Lessened Reserve Capacity  Every body has a reserve capacity to do things but its lessened resulting in….. a. Slowness – old people becoming slower in processing information (but can do it with more time) and physically b. Stress – older people have lessened reserve capacity (i.e. travel, baking, worry about their family, doctor appointment, and definitely stressed out by change (i.e. mess up their routine) c. Homeostatic Equilibrium – keeps body in balance state and as we get older its gets disrupts (i.e. high blood pressure, glucose etc) d. Pacing – must pace themselves because it takes them longer now 3. Use it or loose it – common theme in gerontology in that if they use the skills they have they will be able to maintain them and vice versa a. Physical – staying active/mobile b. Psychological – mind skills c. Social – continue to interact with friends and family (if you have strong relationships with friends and family you are 50% more likely to live long – study showed) 4. Impact on Lifestyle a. Exercise – older seniors don’t get it b. Nutrition – older senior don’t get it c. Stress Management – not as familiar with it as younger people The Joy of Slope – book that she said  Talks about how there’s not enough leisure time for older people to retire  People keep on working  In Germany it mandatory to take a full 6 weeks of break without doing any work  Also says that from stress you can get leisure sickness – i.e. go on vacation and get stress, or take a break and get more stress and are more vulnerable to illness Anti Aging 1. AntiAging Business  In Canada it is a 35 billion dollar business  There are two sets of people the practitioners that believe in it and there are the critics who say it is not supported by scientific evidence 2. AntiAging Cosmetics  You cant pass shopper drug mart without going through the cosmetic section  Botox = botulism, food poisoning  100’s of family doctors in Ontario classify themselves as cosmetic surgeons - and there has been a few deaths  Now they have new legislations that doctors have to be surgeons to perform this 3. AntiAging Clinics and Wellness Centers and Spas  This area is booming 4. Genome Testing  Dr. Chin – Guru of DNAtesting where she well take a swab from check and tell you if you are at risk for certain diseases and she will design a program for you (cost 2000$ and another 1000$ for supplements and vitamins)  Positives: can find out if your healthy, or how minimize your risk or cope with it  Negatives: people don’t really understand genetics to the full extent that they should, scientists admit that DNAis very poorly understood, it most importantly creates worries or worry well – do you want to know that you are at risk for heart disease or dementia etc 5. AntiAging Diets  i.e. diets with antioxidants will help with aging  Nutra-system – you can eat all the chocolates you want and look 20 years younger  There are people that if you restrict calories you will live longer/extend your life 6. AntiAging Dentistry  Angel Lifts – prevents people from getting wrinkles around their mouth  Also are now doing botox 7. AntiAging Sex  They say that the best sex is when people are old  Advertise by having old people wear lingerie and making them look good etc HealthyAging 1. Dr. Micheal Roizen  Believes in REALAG
More Less

Related notes for KINE 3350

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit