LING 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Adverbial Phrase, Preposition And Postposition

74 views2 pages
18 Jan 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Lexical words: words that have independent meaning: noun, verb, adjective, preposition, adverb. Nonlexical: words that serve a grammatical function: determiner, pronoun, auxiliary, degree word, conjunction. Modern classification system: words are based on shared structural properties, syntactic: the position the word is relative to other words in a sentence, morphological: the word structure properties. The council(cid:859)s strategy: can be made singular or plural, ex. Books: can be preceded by a determiner or adjective, ex. The book, a good friend: generally, a person, place or thing. Pronoun: nonlexical subclass with the same properties of a noun, ex. They left early: can be distinguished, syntactic function: subject/before noun vs object/after noun i/you/he/she/it vs me/you/him/her/it, person: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, number: singular vs plural, gender: masculine, feminine, neuter, possessive determiners can be on their own, my/your/her/his/its, ex. Your book is on the table/your is on the table. Adjective: can be made comparative or superlative, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers