MODR 1730 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: List Of Major League Baseball Pitchers Who Have Thrown An Immaculate Inning, Vagueness

30 views1 pages

Document Summary

Vagueness is one of many obstacles to meaning by assigning different meanings to the same word/term/expression/character and that meaning cannot be precisely identified. Quantifiers are words which limit their subjects (all, many, most, some, a few, none) and. Qualifiers are words which describe their subjects (beautiful, good looking, ordinary, ugly). Ambiguity is an obstacle to rad because it assigned different meanings to the same word/term/expression/characters. Fortunately, we can identify the precise meaning at issue, ambiguity, though not vagueness, withstanding. Hypostatization is language that treats non-living things as if they were alive. Metaphor is the use of language such that things are identified with things that are not. It can either be done explicitly (e. g. you are the sunshine of my life or you are the apple of my eye. ) or implicitly (e. g. he pitched an immaculate inning, or i live in the shadow of your smile. ).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers