NATS 1675 Lecture Notes - Adrenal Medulla, Posterior Pituitary, Anterior Pituitary

60 views3 pages

Document Summary

Sex and reproduction: hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Hypothalamus combines and coordinates functions of endocrine and nervous systems. Hormones in hypothalamus produced by neurosecretory cells. Oversee pituitary gland"s production of other hormones. Divided into two parts: posterior pituitary. Made of nervous tissue that is an extension of the hypothalamus. These hormones do things directly: anterior pituitary. Controls: acth, tsh, fsh, lh, prl, gh. These hormones go to certain glands to create more hormones that then carry out a particular action: adrenal glands. Called adrenal cortex (outer part) and adrenal medulla (inner part) Small amounts of estrogen and progesterone (promote female sex characteristics: gonads. Estrogens: begin uterine lining growth, promote development and maintenance of female sex characteristics. Progestins (i. e. progesterone: uterine lining growth. Androgens (i. e. testosterone: promote development and maintenance of male sex characteristics, support sperm formation (spermatogenesis) Produce 3 categories of steroid sex hormones: androgens (i. e. testosterone, estrogens, progestins. All present in males and females but in different proportions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers