NATS 1610 (133)

The Living Body 5 - Ovulation to Fertilization.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Natural Science
NATS 1610
Barbara Czaban

NATS 1610 WINTER TERM L24 – Ovulation to Fertilization Human life has two main periods of development 1. Prenatal 2. Postnatal • The prenatal period begins at fertilization and ends at birth Summary of Early Events during the Pre-Embryonic Period • Step 1: Ovulation: A secondary oocyte is released from the ovary and swept into the oviduct • Step 2: Fertilization: A single sperm penetrates the secondary oocyte. Eventually, the sperm and egg nuclei will fuse, resulting in a fertilized egg, or zygote. • Step 3: Cleavage: The zygote soon undergoes rapid mitotic cell division as it moves along the oviduct toward the uterus, becoming a pre-embryo that consists of two cells, then four cells, then eight cells, and so on • Step 4: Morula: By day 4, successive divisions produce a morula, a solid ball of cells that enters the uterus • Step 5: Blastocyst: By day 6, the pre-embryo becomes a blastocyst, a hollow ball of cells with a fluid-filled cavity. The blastocyst has freed itself from the zona pellucida and can increase in size • Step 6: Implantation: The blastocyst attaches to the uterine lining (endometrium) and begins to digest its way inward In Human females, oogenesis & ovulation begins before birth • During early fetal development − Diploid oogenia numbers increase in ovaries by mitosis • During month 3 − Oogenia enlarge & store nutrients − Become primary oocytes o Enter meiosis I but do not complete it o “arrested” & remain diploid − Meiosis I is completed years later just prior to ovulation o Starting at puberty, one at a time In summary • During early fetal development – in ovary – Follicle Cells surround each developing egg cell − This group of “follicle cells plus egg cell” are called primary follicles − This starts occurring by 3 months post fertilization – i.e., in utero (before birth) − Remain in this state until puberty (after birth) • Primary follicles begin completing meiosis I at puberty − In cycles, throughout adulthood • Just PRIOR to Ovulation – one primary follicle will complete meiosis I − Forming one haploid Secondary Oocyte & one polar body − Polar bodies do not mature into egg cells • Ovulation occurs about 12 hours after secondary oocyte forms − Matured follicle (with secondary oocyte) is released from ovary − Corpus luteum – some follicle cells remain in ovary after ovulation o These cells secrete estrogen & progesterone o Degenerate if fertilization does not occur • Secondary Oocyte completes meiosis II when sperm inseminates it − Cytoplasmic division produces one ovum
More Less

Related notes for NATS 1610

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.