Political Science
Course
POLS 3560
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
The Global South: Politics, Policy & Development POLS 3560 – Fall/Winter 2011/2012 – Ananya Mukherjee-Reed Lecture 5 – History: Mainstream vs. Critical Perspectives – Oct 18 Why Study History? - George Orwell – ‘Whoever controls the past controls the future and whoever controls the present controls the past’. History from Above - History is the memory of states – Henry Kissinger. - Zinn o He tells the history of 19 century Europe from the viewpoint of the leaders of Austria and England. From his standpoint, the ‘peace’ that Europe had before the French Revolution was ‘restored’ by the diplomacy of a few national leaders. But for factory workers in England, farmers in France, coloured people in Asia and Africa, women and children everywhere? History from Below - ‘My viewpoint, in telling the history of the United States, is different: that we must not accept the memory of states as our own. Nations are not communities and never have been. The history of any country, presented as the history of a family, conceals fierce conflicts of interest between conquerors and conquered, masters and slaves, capitalists and workers, dominators and dominated in race and sex.’ - The treatment of heroes (Columbus) and their victims (the Arawaks)… is only one aspect of a certain approach of history, in which the past is told from the point of view of governments, conquerors, diplomats, leaders. It is as if they… the Founding Fathers, Jackson, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, Kennedy, the leading number of Congress, the famous Justices of the Supreme Court – represent the nation as a whole. - ‘The pretense is that there really is such a thing as ‘The United States’, subject to occasional conflicts and quarrels, but fundamentally a community of people with common interests. It is as if there really is a ‘national interest’ represented in the Constitution, in territorial expansion, in the laws passed by Congress, the decisions of the courts, the development of capitalism, the culture of education and the mass media’. Zinn on Columbus - Columbus wrote – “As soon as I arrived in the Indies, on the first Island which I found, I took some of the natives by force in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatever there is in these parts.” o The information that Columbus wanted most was: Where is the gold? He had persuaded the king and queen of Spain to finance an expedition to the lands, the wealth, he expected would be on the other side of the Atlantic – the Indies and Asia, gold and spices. For, like other informed people of his time, he knew the world was round and he could sail west in order to get to the Far East. Zinn on Las Casas - When he arrived on Hispaniola in 1508, Las Casas says – “There were 60,000 people living on this island, including the Indians; so that from 1494 to 1508, over three million people had perished from war, slavery, and the mines. Who in future generations will believe this? I myself writing it as a knowledgeable eyewitness can hardly believe it…” Zinn on History - “Thus began the history, five hundred years ago, of the European invasion of the Indian settlements in the Americas. That beginning, when you read Las Casas – even if his figures are exaggerations (were there 3 million Indians to begin with, as he says, or less than a million, as some historians have calculated, or 8 million as others now believe?) – is conquest, slavery, death. When we read the history books given to children in the United States, it all starts with heroic adventure – there is no bloodshed – and Columbus Day is a celebration.” Walter Rodney - Development and underdevelopment as simultaneous and comparative situations. - Exploitation as a central explanation of underdevelopment. - The institution of slavery. Development in Rodney’s Vision - He argues – “Exploitation of land and labour is essential for human social advance, but only on the assumption that the product is made available within the area where the exp
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3560

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit