PSYC 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Amy Winehouse, Methylphenidate, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor

38 views5 pages
naya-2002 and 39638 others unlocked
PSYC 1010 Full Course Notes
PSYC 1010 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
63 documents

Document Summary

Chapter 1: formal definition, emphasize empirical method, careers in psychology. Comes from the greek word psyche: mind or soul and logos: study of a subject (explanation) Adopt a particular method of understanding behavior. How you act (behavior/overt) what you see. How you think (mental/covert) area of cognition i. e. beliefs. How you feel (covert & overt) abnormal and everyday behavior i. e. patterns. Empirical method or data is produced through an hypothesis and an experiment(verifiable). Questions need to be clearly defined and answerable with the evidence collected. Understanding and explaining behavior scientifically i. e. rigorous research designs (free of biases) (all have their limitation) Empirical evaluation: test predictions using quantitative approaches, formulate a testable hypothesis, select method and study design (how you ask your questions) Conclusion cannot be subjective has to be based on the data collected: statistics. Clinical/counselling (assessment on individuals who have psychological problems) Educational/school psychology (help with student dealing with psychological problems)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers