Fall 2013

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2120
Professor
Gerry Goldberg
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
PSYC 2120 Social Psychology
Lecture 3, September 26, 2013
Random Assignment vs Random Selection
Strenght/Weaknesses of an Experiment
Strengths
- Can determine causal relationships
Weaknesses
- Procedures can affect our ability to generalize from lab to the real world
- Mundane realism vs experimental realism
Mundane realism the extent to which the experiment looks like a real-life situation
Experimental realism - the extent to which a researcher is to able t successful manipulate his or
her independent variable
The more mundane realism the less experimental realism, the more experimental realism the
less mundane realism
Ethics some things are not done for experiments because of morality
If a variable is not possible to manipulate, it would be a nonexperiment variable
3 effects
Interaction effect- the effect of one of those variables depends on whether you’re a male or
female
Main effect look at the main effect across the variables, comparing the results for each group

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYC 2120 Social Psychology Lecture 3, September 26, 2013 Random Assignment vs Random Selection Strenght/Weaknesses of an Experiment Strengths - Can determine causal relationships Weaknesses - Procedures can affect our ability to generalize from lab to the real world - Mundane realism vs experimental realism Mundane realism – the extent to which the experiment looks like a real-life situation Experimental realism - the extent to which a researcher is to able t successful manipulate his or her independent variable The more mundane realism the less experimental realism, the more experimental realism the less mundane realism Ethics –some things are not done for experiments because of morality If a variable is not possible to manipulate, it would be a nonexperiment variable 3 effects Interaction effect- the effect of one of those variables depends on whether you’re a male or female Main effect – look at the main effect across the variables, comparing the results for each group Major Theoretical Perspectives - Learning theory S R (stimulus  Response) - Consistence/balance theory (humans desire balance and consistency In their life) o Cognitive Dissonance theory (Festingon)– more likely toc hange our cognition than our behavior (e.g, I know that texting while driving is bad, while still doing it) - Attribution theory: a family of theories that describes how people come up with the reasons why e
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit