Two bonus questions on the midterm from this lecture.
Song: Johnny Clegg “Scatterlings”
Basic message: We all came from Africa
Topic: Biological Self - Evolutionary and ecological influences
All the evidence shows that we originally came from Africa; DNA evidence - mDNA
(maternal and/or mitochondrial DNA)
• Cerebellums keep our bodies balanced; makes everything automatic.
• We have been through at least 8 million years of ancestry. Most recent were the homo
sapiens/neanderthals. Theory of mind (perspective taking): We start of with a very
small brain (400 cc - adult brain chimpanzee capacity); A. Africanus - 3 millions years
ago similar to us. As the brain gets bigger, it gets smarter; Homo habilis (2 millions
years) brain capacity - 800 cc). Homo sapiens - 1200 cc. We were smarter and more
agile than the neanderthals, thus we exterminated them.
• Ontogeny - our development in evolution mimics the development of a fetus.
• Discoveries made using mDNA: R. Cann & A Wilson 1980s:
• Tommy Douglas was Eugenics (the Hitleri