Psychology
Course
PSYC 3230
Professor
James Alcock
Semester
Winter

Description
Intellect vs. Emotion Monday, January 14, 201310:58 AM Rational Emotive Therapy: Albert Ellis • Discovered Freud's approach didn't work • Incorporated a few approaches into his own which he used to cure his phobia of public speaking when he was 19 • "We disturb ourselves"-- it is not caused by an external factor • "Musterbation"-- if you're stuck with "I'd like to do well," but not MUST do well, then you would not disturb yourself • Being told by therapist you're thinking wrong won't cure you • Mind will influence matter. Requires work and practice , cognitive technique to help people change how they think • Depression-- horror, must not be this way. Has individual difference in what you tell yourself • Appropriate emotions and inappropriate emotions • Taking a desire and escalating it into a demand, a must. I.e., Having leprosy, being tortured to death- doesn’t justify going into state of horror, depression. Does justify “I don’t like this, what can i do about it?” won't happen if you’re in a state of horror. Change basic philosophy of how you think tobe better • Five steps of Rational-Emotive Therapy 1) Activating experience  Mary loses her job 2) Belief system  "I'm a failure" 3) Consequence  Mary becomes depressed 4) Disputation  Therapist challenges her belief 5) Effects  Mary puts changed belief to work Cognitive Therapy: Aaron Beck • Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) ○ When you ask people what's wrong, hard to believe them because they often don't know themselves. Clinicians should be set up as "data collectors" to ultimately help them find out about themselves • Dichotomous thinking-- everything is either good or bad, up or down • Particularly in patients who are depressed ○ Negative representation of themselves as indicated in their dreams, then would get cognitive distortions ○ Negative beliefs would act as prison and block out positive beliefs ○ Interpretations of what was going on will be distorted • Negative thinking + distortions = what do you do about it? (analytic therapy) ○ Albert Ellis ○ Borrowed techniques and now have people (challenged to) explore, evaluate their ordinary thoughts ○ What happened when started to have people looking at automatic thoughts, they started to get better • Academic work: ○ Organization (Mood Clinic)-- further research on cognitive model of depression (need patients, need to offer them something [therapy]) ○ Patients in treatment for 12 weeks-- patients got better (as opposed to drug treated)  CBT treatment worked better long term than the drugs • Even severe depressive will respond better than the drugs, but has to be adapted to each individual. Can't start right away with cognitive therapy, need to get them activated, then can neutralize their negative beliefs about themselves ○ Behavior activation--
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3230

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit