PSYC 3350 Lecture 7: Material after Midterm, March 1st, 4

44 views3 pages
o Differences in happiness of different nations, they looked at people within the us whose
failies origiall ae fro other outries → foud that if ou rak ordered the
happiess of the ethi groups, there’s a strog orrelatio → happiess is arried over
from the ethnic groups.
o Cultures vary in the importance that they ascribe to happiness.
o Wh is it that ou’re doig hat ou do?
o Did ou hoose our ajor eause ou thought ou’d e happier?
o A UBC study: students made choices between alternatives of 2 computer puzzle games:
One game was described as fun, but not very useful,
Another was dull but would improve their thinking skills.
European canadians choose the more enjoyable games.
Asian canadians still for the most part, prefer the fun game but more of them
hoose the ore useful gaes. The’re otiated ot just  happiess ut also
by usefulness.
What makes life more satisfying?
Suh et al wanted to relate the concept of individualism and life satisfaction, how
much positive affect and their elief to lie up to ultural ors → foud i the
ost idiidualist outries, life satisfatio strogl predited  people’s
overall level of positive affect.
Least individualistic countries, satisfaction predicted by the extent to which
people…
There are 2 different ways of considering happiness:
1) sum total of all the happy feelings that you have.
2) how you retrospectively evaluate your happiness.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The(cid:455)"re (cid:373)oti(cid:448)ated (cid:374)ot just (cid:271)(cid:455) happi(cid:374)ess (cid:271)ut also by usefulness. Fou(cid:374)d euro a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a(cid:374)s (cid:449)he(cid:374) asked retrospe(cid:272)ti(cid:448)el(cid:455) (cid:373)u(cid:272)h happier. Studies done by jeane tsi (asian american), hypothesized that east asians prefer low arousal positive states (calm, relaxed, peaceful) compared with north americans who tend to high arousal positive state (excited, enthusiastic). Leisure activities: drug use, kids (cid:271)ooks: fou(cid:374)d that a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a(cid:374)"s (cid:272)hildre(cid:374)s" (cid:271)ooks i(cid:374)(cid:272)luded (cid:271)igger s(cid:373)iles tha(cid:374) Taiwanese books: books appear to socialize kinds into preferring different affective states, religion and preference of ideal affect, tsai et al, compared preferences on christians, buddhists and agnostics in preferring lap or hap. Found that agnostics and christians preferred the hap states. Buddhism is geared towards meditation and low arousal state. She also looked at religious te(cid:454)ts (cid:894)se(cid:272)o(cid:374)d stud(cid:455)(cid:895) fou(cid:374)d the sa(cid:373)e thi(cid:374)g. In advertising: lap vs hap, chinese magazines show more lap: culture influences the emotions we ideally would like to feel, emotions in the 21st century, o(cid:374)li(cid:374)e (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374) (cid:373)akes e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)al e(cid:454)pressio(cid:374) diffi(cid:272)ult.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers