PSYC 3350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Acculturation, Anomie, White Privilege

27 views2 pages
o At the individual level, the model that has been used the most is the model developed
by John Berry: he talks about 4 types of acculturation strategies of individuals:
How positive are your views towards the host culture?
How positive are your views towards your heritage culture?
If individuals have + attitudes towards both groups: more integration, if +
toward host and - toads heitage → assiilatio. If + toads heitage ad -
toads host → sepaatio. If - toads oth → agializatio stategy.
Integration: they hypothesized that it should be the most successful strategy
eause ou hae soial suppot fo 2 ouities. It’s adaptie to t to get
a smany resources as you can. There are multiple examples of this in movies.
Research finds that integration and assimilation tend to yield most positive
outcome.
If ou look at aultuatio i ethelads s aada: thee’s a geate push fo
assimilation in the US or netherlands. In canada integration is fine.
What’s ad hee is agializatio. It’s ot eall a aultuatio stateg:
most weakly defined. A feeling of normlessness (anomie): one group where you
ight fid geate agializatio ould e fo soe fist atios → thee ee
a generation whose children were taken away to go to shools → the heitage
ultue did’t suie as ell as it ould if the kids et to shool lose to hoe.
They experience considerable amount of discrimination, their language and
culture has been lost.
Assimilation and separation are more intermediate strategies.
Sepaatio → ejetig the host ultue ad the potetie featues it ould
offe. Caadia eaples: kithee o ateloo → people ho ted to hae
their own communities who are very traditional. Not all are traditional though.
Soe do’t use cars! There are some ultra conservative jews who tend to stay
within their own communities. Some immigrants also are examples: spend all of
their time speaking their own languages and have little interaction with
foreigners.
o Not all societies view the process of immigrant integration in the same way, canada has
been described as using the salad bowl model: each group maintains its characteristics
ad adds uiue flaous → hade to fid this i soe aeas tha othes: eg: hiese i
saskatchewan.
o In the US the odel is eltig odel → eah goup’s haateistis ae elted away
as they assimilate: plays out in many ways politically: in california to set up schools
where kids could study in spanish because of the huge latina population in california, it
did’t pass. It as just looked at uaeia. Ee though e ko it’s pshologiall
beneficial to learn more than one language.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

If individuals have + attitudes towards both groups: more integration, if + toward host and - to(cid:449)a(cid:396)ds he(cid:396)itage assi(cid:373)ilatio(cid:374). If + to(cid:449)a(cid:396)ds he(cid:396)itage a(cid:374)d - to(cid:449)a(cid:396)ds host sepa(cid:396)atio(cid:374). Integration: they hypothesized that it should be the most successful strategy (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause (cid:455)ou ha(cid:448)e so(cid:272)ial suppo(cid:396)t f(cid:396)o(cid:373) 2 (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)ities. It"s adapti(cid:448)e to t(cid:396)(cid:455) to get a smany resources as you can. There are multiple examples of this in movies. Research finds that integration and assimilation tend to yield most positive outcome. If (cid:455)ou look at a(cid:272)(cid:272)ultu(cid:396)atio(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:374)ethe(cid:396)la(cid:374)ds (cid:448)s (cid:272)a(cid:374)ada: the(cid:396)e"s a g(cid:396)eate(cid:396) push fo(cid:396) assimilation in the us or netherlands. In canada integration is fine: what"s (cid:271)ad he(cid:396)e is (cid:373)a(cid:396)gi(cid:374)alizatio(cid:374). It"s (cid:374)ot (cid:396)eall(cid:455) a(cid:374) a(cid:272)(cid:272)ultu(cid:396)atio(cid:374) st(cid:396)ateg(cid:455): most weakly defined. They experience considerable amount of discrimination, their language and culture has been lost: assimilation and separation are more intermediate strategies. Sepa(cid:396)atio(cid:374) (cid:396)eje(cid:272)ti(cid:374)g the host (cid:272)ultu(cid:396)e a(cid:374)d the p(cid:396)ote(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e featu(cid:396)es it (cid:272)ould offe(cid:396).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers