PSYC 3350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Asian Canadians, Asian Americans, Longitudinal Study

26 views2 pages
o Eating habits:
The longer immigrants have lived in the US the more likely that they have picked
up the bad eating habits.
o Being a target of discrimination is another negative outcome of acculturation. The
hockey player who played for montreal canadians and now plays for nashville predators.
He is a lak a plaig hoke! Hoke is ofte see as the hite e’s gae. I
some ways, he was criticized a lot in the media by being too flashy, if he was a football
or a asketall plaer, he ould’t hae een judged for his behaviour. Eventually, he
was traded.
o In terms of direct effects for people: not getting hired, not getting invited for interviews,
not getting loans, being victims of violence.
o Indirect effects: Some people may internalize the stereotypes directed at their groups.
o Multicultural: your self concept is defined by multicultural experiences. Living in 2 ways
can happen in the same geography.
o Many different ways multicultural experience impact the self concept:
Blending: self concepts reflect a hybrid of 2 cultural worlds.
Frame switching: we have access to 2 different ways and instead of blending,
ou’re sithig etee the ased o otet.
Some people usually use both of them.
o Evidence for blending:
The idea is that if blending is true (if blending of multiple cultures will result in a
different self concept), then bicultural people should be different than people
from their heritage culture and the people of the culture they belong to.
I a ases it appears that there’s eidee for blending. A lot of this
research comes from looking at asian americans.
Heine studied how the self esteem of people exposed to both canadian and east
asian culture changes. He found that when people shift around in between
ultures: i orth aeria there’s an emphasis on self esteem, in asian countries
self criticism is more important. Japanese moving to canada, the longer they
lied i aada, goa hae ireased self estee after a period of tie →
increase in self esteem 7 months after moving to canada. For canadians who
oed to japa, after 7 oths, there’s a derease i self estee → ou’re
adoptig the ors of the e otet. These are’t huge hages i self
esteem, but there is a change.
He also looked at this within a loner time frame: a longitudinal study of 7
months, looked at self esteem o people with exposure to east asian and
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Eating habits, the longer immigrants have lived in the us the more likely that they have picked up the bad eating habits, being a target of discrimination is another negative outcome of acculturation. The hockey player who played for montreal canadians and now plays for nashville predators. In terms of direct effects for people: not getting hired, not getting invited for interviews, not getting loans, being victims of violence. Indirect effects: some people may internalize the stereotypes directed at their groups: multicultural: your self concept is defined by multicultural experiences. Living in 2 ways can happen in the same geography: many different ways multicultural experience impact the self concept: Blending: self concepts reflect a hybrid of 2 cultural worlds. Frame switching: we have access to 2 different ways and instead of blending, (cid:455)ou"re s(cid:449)it(cid:272)hi(cid:374)g (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) the(cid:373) (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)te(cid:454)t. I(cid:374) (cid:373)a(cid:374)(cid:455) (cid:272)ases it appears that there"s e(cid:448)ide(cid:374)(cid:272)e for blending.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers