PSYC 3350 Lecture 10: Material after Midterm, March 29th, 4

68 views1 pages
o In america, for many innercity african americans, the way of speaking on the street is
uite diffeet fo the a the’e thought to speak i shools. People sea a lot
when talking to friends, vs talking to someone else: we want to present different sides
of the self to different people.
o Do e sith i as that e’e ot osious of?
Priming research, bicultural people are primed with one set of cultural ideas vs
another set of cultural ideas, people in hong kong know a lot about american
culture. IV: They were primed by western images or chinese images. DV: why is
the front fish swimming ahead of the others? Is it something about the fish
iteal attiutio o aout the shool eteal? If ou’e pied ith
aeia iages ou’e oe likely to make internal attributions.
Likelihood of making external attributions: chinese prime, more likely to make
external attribution for the fish behavior.
We might be more influenced by one culture than other, without being
conscious of it.
o Multiculturalism increases creativity:
Studies show that people who have access to more cultural experiences, are
more creative.
One of his students, ran 4 different studies looking at different measures of
eatiit, she foud othig! This does’t epliate the study mentioned in the
tetook. Pat of the pole is that eatiit is a e slippe oept.it’s ot
an easy assess.
o Liig i ultiultual olds: oe of the aeas of eseah he’s ee ioled ith is
looking at what it means to be multiracial. Race is a social construct. You can
differentiate people on the basis of where the ancestors were born geographically but
this is not tied to skin color.
o The concept of race came around in the 19th century, bloomenbock, decided to
organize people into racial groups into 5 categories. He makes a hierarchy of this and
puts caucasians on the top, because at that time it was thought that the origin of
huait ae fo the hite people. That’s h he hates the od auasia!
o Black people in the US are never referred to as being multiracials.
o Reseah i ultiaialit is had to do, eause thee ae a leds ou a hae →
no literature on black asian people.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In america, for many innercity african americans, the way of speaking on the street is (cid:395)uite diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)t f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the (cid:449)a(cid:455) the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e thought to speak i(cid:374) s(cid:272)hools. Iv: they were primed by western images or chinese images. If (cid:455)ou"(cid:396)e p(cid:396)i(cid:373)ed (cid:449)ith a(cid:373)e(cid:396)i(cid:272)a(cid:374) i(cid:373)ages (cid:455)ou"(cid:396)e (cid:373)o(cid:396)e likely to make internal attributions. Likelihood of making external attributions: chinese prime, more likely to make external attribution for the fish behavior: we might be more influenced by one culture than other, without being conscious of it, multiculturalism increases creativity: Studies show that people who have access to more cultural experiences, are more creative: one of his students, ran 4 different studies looking at different measures of (cid:272)(cid:396)eati(cid:448)it(cid:455), she fou(cid:374)d (cid:374)othi(cid:374)g! This does(cid:374)"t (cid:396)epli(cid:272)ate the study mentioned in the te(cid:454)t(cid:271)ook. He makes a hierarchy of this and puts caucasians on the top, because at that time it was thought that the origin of hu(cid:373)a(cid:374)it(cid:455) (cid:272)a(cid:373)e f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the (cid:449)hite people.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers