SOSC 1350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Eleanor Leacock, Ward Churchill, Body Bag

76 views7 pages

Document Summary

The canadian state itself exists on the basis of the expropriation of native land and resources, the subordination of native politics. During the colonial period, male authority was being encouraged by euro- Americans in their political and military dealings with [indigenous peoples] at the same time [indigenous] women were becoming dependent in individual households on wage-earning and trading husbands. Eleanor leacock (1922-1987: who are we talking about when we talk about indigenous peoples, (cid:862)i(cid:374)dige(cid:374)ous(cid:863) i(cid:374)(cid:272)ludes inuit, m tis and first nations, first nations encompass most indigenous people that are not inuit & What is more common is harsh living conditions: housing is substandard. Tuberculosis risk is eight to ten times higher on reserved. Epidemics tend to hit rural and isolated reserves more often: the body bag scandal shook canada at its core. They were viewed from a similar status: wo(cid:373)e(cid:374) (cid:449)e(cid:396)e also i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed i(cid:374) (cid:862)(cid:373)a(cid:374)ly(cid:863) a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)ities, su(cid:272)h as hunting.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers