Social Science
Course
SOSC 1375
Professor
Olena Kobzar
Semester
Fall

Description
- What is normal and abnormal? Who decides what is normal and abnormal? o Influences on normal/abnormal:  Religion  Society  What do we, as a society, believe to  Nature is the only thing that is “normal” - Rule of law = all people are equal under law o No one is exempt from the law o Everyone is equal - Moral panic = a disruption that threatens the social order of a society - Look at law as: o A regulator of morals o Containment (i.e. “don’t run a red light”) - Sample case: Clara Ford (1894) o Toronto, tiny apartment near Spadina/Adelaide o Early 30s + mulatto (one parent white, one black) + seamstress + unmarried o Clara Ford shot and killed Frank Westwood  18 years old, from a well-off family  She claimed that he raped her  Is that a reason to kill him? o No: two wrongs don’t make a right o Yes: self-defence o Maybe: she was half black and she wouldn’t be able to have access to the adequate justice system that everyone else does o Clara’s lawyer: F.B. (Blackie) Johnston  Got Clara to take back her confession:  Used her minority race o Said that the two white officers pressured her into admitting it wrongly  Played into the gender role o Gender assumption is that women are dumber than men o She said she didn’t know what she was doing and played the “oh-I’m-so-sorry” card o Tapped into jurymen’s ego (to be as protectors of the woman) o The prosecutor: B.B. Osler o Social norms  Certain ideas of what it means to be a woman - Sample case: Carrie Davies (1915) o 18-year-old English woman, servant in the Massey home  Young, white, British, innocent, hardworking, dutiful, dressed in dowdy clothing, dad died in war, had to support her mother and sister by working, virgin, family- oriented, had a boyfriend sent to war o Bert Massey: liked fast cars and had a reputation for womanizing o Hartley Deward: Carrie Davies’ lawyer o E.E.A. DuVernet: prosecutor  Said she was mental (that was the only “defence” they had left) o Key plays:  Give the jury the role of the parent  Treat them as mentors, and as the parent figure  Her father couldn’t take care of the family  Convince the jury to feel something, you have already one half the case  Portrayed as insane  Epileptic seizures - What is medicalization? o The modern era: much of what we see as the abnormal now becomes medicalized  Before, the was just an aberration departing from “the right path”  Now, there is no right or wrong path… it’s a medical problem regarding a medical solution  Medicalization of social problems o Medicalization as an alternate to criminalization - Sample case: Shafia Trial st o Dad, mom, son convicted of killing three daughters and aunt (1 wife)  First he tried to deny it  They insisted it was an honour killing  Dad testified that he would do it again  Wanted to be tried in a different system (under Shari’a law)  Based on the Qur’an  Mother said:  I’m a mother, I didn’t do this (hooks on to maternal instin
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1375

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit