Gentrification – November 20, 2013
The restoration of run-down urban areas by the middle class (resulting in the displacement of low-
- Middle class, where did the middle class go?
- Geographically they went to the suburbs (Became rich or poor: polarization)
- Detroit: lost auto sector jobs (extreme example)
- Baltimore: 1960s style, haven’t gentrified
- Urbicide: Killing cities; Intentional attempt to erase or destroy a city or cities for political
- Baby boomers want to come back to the inner city? What does a city offer?
- New kinds of jobs, service sector jobs in the city. Diversity offered in the city,
4 stages of gentrification
1. What Smith and others call “Urban pioneers”; shock troops; risk oblivious people/renter
(don’t care about their neighbours (bad neighbourhood) as long as it's a nice apartment;
willing to take on the risk)
2. Renovation and Promotion: Outsiders promoti