Social Science
Course
SOSC 2652
Professor
Anna Pratt
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 18  Thursday March 6, 2014 Honorable Justice David P. Cole 221 Finch Court House How to become a judge? ­ Can apply to a provincial court judge or a superior court judge ­ Must be at the bar for 10 years.  ­ Ontario Court of Justice: you fill out a standardize application form. Important  because it put everybody on a level playing field in the sense od asking a bunch of  questions such as what is your legal experience. Community involvement etc.  ­ You application then go before a committee deliberately structured to have more  late persons that judge and lawyers. They then decide who they are going to  interview, they interview typically a dozen candidates per position and they then  send three names to the attorney general of the Day. The AT gender MUST pick  one of those three names. AT general of the day may not say “thank for you  applications, I’m going to ignore all of you and pick my buddy from a political  campaign”(how it used to work). The Ontario model makes it possible for a  person like Justice David Cole to get appointed. At the federal level the processes  start the same way but there are two differences. They have an advisory  committee and this committee does not interview candidates. They just look at the  written application and then send them to the Attorney general of the day. They  then look on the list and pick who is qualified. Politics is more likely to come into  the appointment process at the federal level. Politics at provincial level: various  governments have indicated the kinds of candidates they would like to see come  forward.  ­ When you get appointed what do they look for? Background, community  involvement, they expect you to also know your community, what your  community is.. When you get appointed they just let you get right to it to. You are  expected to know the law, but also expected to apply your background, your  experience, your sense of the way the world should work. Justice David’s  experience with the law (defense counsel) would be much different from someone  who did civil law or crown counsel. Your view of the world and someone else’s  worldview is different, you must allow you self to sharpen you perspectives and  understand the other side. Discretion exists within every step of the way. Do you  respond when mentally accused persons suggest that you do ill things with your  mother? Do you let a lawyer go on and on with questions that seem to be  irrelevant because our system of justice says “lawyers know the case, the judge  doesn’t”. True test of the judge is that they make the decisions, not whether they  get it right it get it wrong. All you can do as a trail judge is apply my discretion  and explain why he did it. The role of the appeal court is to look at what I di and  why I did it and say, “Cole you could of chosen A or B, you chose A we choose  B”. Pellet reviews: hugely important because they control inappropriate use of  discretion. Hopefully you apply discretion in a sensible way.  Minimum Mandatory Sentences ­ Takes away their discretion: the judges discretion  ­ Judiciary has typically responded already by raising the sentences to deal with the  precise issue. ­ Rachel Story:  ­ Canada is only the western democracy that doesn’t have an “out­clause” or safety  valve that says “normal judges shall impose the min/man sentenc
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 2652

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit