SOCI 2040 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Friedrich Engels, Evernote, Bourgeoisie
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Program for notes: Evernote
1. Alienation (what is it, what kinds)
2. Money: role and power
3. Relation between bourgeoisie and proletariat
Marx and Historical Materialism
1. Biography and context
2. Historical materialism
3. Model of society
Karl Marx (1818-1883)
Friedrich Engels (1820-1895)
•Engels is Marx's best friend. He was also the son of a factory owner
•Engel was the manager of the factory, and Marx saw capitalism being created an where
Context: The industrial revolution
1. Feudalism (Middle Ages) to capitalism (modernity)
2. Feudalism: nobility (landowners) vs peasantry (serfs)
•Bourgeoisie (capitalists) class that owns and controls the means of production
•Proletariat (workers) class that sells its labour to survive
•Immigrants move to where factories are located to find a job to earn money
•Marx was the first person to understand capitalism true nature, It Sucks!
•Tremendous concentration of power in the bourgeoisie.
1. Against idealism: primacy of ideas over material reality
2. Materialism: primacy of material reality over ideas
3. Key= labour: what and how we produce our material life
Marx was an original troll.
Model of Society
•He believed that material reality is the foundation of society.
•A way t understand the economy. Base and superstructure. Picture a house where the
base is the foundation and the superstructure is the extra add on, (useless stuff).
•A base of society is the economy. The base is the economic dimension.
•The superstructure is the non-economic things, such as politics, law, culture, etc
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version