SOSC 2350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Miller Test, Positive Liberty, Slippery Slope

48 views10 pages

Document Summary

Key questions: ((cid:883)99(cid:882)(cid:495)s 2015: carter supreme court of canada. It also depends on the rules of the state. Can the state ever be justified in interfering with what consenting adults choose to. Formalism: notion that legal rules form a consistent and complete whole from which the answer to any legal question can be logically deduced simply by discovering the applicable rule and applying it to the facts of the case. Judicial reasoning can yield to legal results (i. e. internally coherent/logical, and can be understood and predicted, abides by its own universal system). Neutrality: legal principles and law are not based on particular group(cid:495)s concern of (cid:498)moral(cid:499) or (cid:498)good(cid:499) (cid:523)i. e. it is culturally neutral, universally recognized as true). Abstraction: the law should operate at a high level of abstraction (generalization) that excludes consideration of the social context (i. e. fair because it is not attached to/have allegiance to a particular culture, or set of norms.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers