THEA 1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Mother Courage And Her Children, Berliner Ensemble
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Monday, November 10th, 2014
THEA 1200 Lecture
Legend for Notes
Notes from Father Gail’s Lecture
Video Clips used in Class
Report (From my tutorial leader who’s Magdalena)
-Why did you choose this play/article?
-What did you want to communicate?
-What was your role? How did you contribute to the piece?
Theatre of the Absurd
- There are 2 types of Absurd theatre:
1) a bsurd Theatre =
Human life is crazy
Language is a delusion
Life is not a new idea—seen in Shakespeare
Life is nonsensical
2) A bsurd Theatre =
Unbridged dissonance between the fact of life in the world and made
worse by humans
Human demand and reason created a reason
- Believed nothing could be done in Berlin
- 1898 – 1856; died at 58
- Avoided serving in war and went to medical school
- Early Plays:
- Started in Munsch, but moved to Berlin
- Wasn’t nice
- Extremely ambitious
Berlin in 1920s
- Germany lost the war and had to pay reparations and because of this, resentment was
- Revolution was close by
- Rise of the Nazi Party
- During all of this, Brechtt was becoming a playwright
*Who is the audience?
*What do you want people to do?
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version