PSYC 300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: Twin, Alcoholism, Flynn Effect

11 views2 pages

Document Summary

Hard to answer (again) if you don"t quite know what it is! Implications for whether and how much intelligence can be improved(?) Problem is that genetics and environment are naturally confounded. Alcoholism runs in my family, my dad is a drunk and so are my sister. In normal circumstances, people grow up with people they are related to. Most interesting cases are identical (monozygotic or mz) twins reared and i apart. Correlation between intelligence of adopted children and biological parents increases with age. Means 50% is environment or gene-environment interaction. Adoption increases iq in general, more for higher ses parents. Flynn effect worldwide increase in iq. Consistent mean difference in iq scores of american blacks and whites. Many want to explain as genetic difference. Between group diffs overwhelmed by within group diffs. No correlation between european ancestry and intelligence. Headstart intervention procedures strong improvements in iq. Racial gap has decreased by 5-6 between 1972-2002.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers