Why do we study hillslope hydrology?
– Determines whether hillslope water reaches the channel quickly and at the same time after a precipitation
event, or not.
– Therefore helps explain why some streams flood after a given rainfall event and others do not
– The processes of hillslope hydrology also explain why rivers flow even when there is no rain
– Groundwater is an important source of drinking water
1. How does water flow in the subsurface?
2. What is an aquifer?
3. Different types of aquifers
4. Causes of water table elevation change
5. Groundwater interactions with rivers
1. Water flow in the subsurface:
• downward (vertical) flow in the unsaturated zone (interflow)
• flow parallel with the water table surface in the saturated zone
Porosity: how p