HIST 1055 Lecture 10: Lecture 10: Finance

2 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST1055
Professor
Farber

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Finance Explain the usefulness of two Dutch financial “technologies” (and what they did)> A London merchant upon finding out about the tulip bubble of 1637, might have shaken his head and said said, “That’s so Amsterdam.” Why? ● Sugar production doesn’t rise naturally to meet demand - forced and political power used at all stages of production ○ Enslaved laborers produced through war ○ Sugar produced with government support and relentless physical force ➔ Dutch Republic ◆ Declares independence in 1581 ◆ Made up of 7 major provinces and a few smaller towns ◆ Not urbanized around a powerful king - a federation ◆ Each province have representative - who meet/discuss political issues ◆ Maritime nation ◆ Begin to need to import materials - textiles, etc. ◆ Amsterdam ● Different culture than many places ● Cosmopolitan place ● Filled with refugees from Spanish war/rebelling dutch ● Unusual religious tolerance ● See themselves of citizens of the world ◆ Don’t have ● Monarchs ● High peasant population ● Large army ● Large land area ◆ Have ● Fleet of commercial ships ● Experienced sailors and merchants ● Urbanized population focused on jobs other than ag ◆ First “modern economy” ◆ Joint Stock Company
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit