Lochner V. N.Y.
• New York State says bakers cannot work more than 10 hrs a day. Because it is bad for the
health of the bakers and the uncleanliness of the operation endangers people’s health.
• Police Power regulation is struck down because it violates the validity of the liberty of
• Lochner: baking is not strenuous or difficult so it is not bad for his health.
• To regulate infringes upon the 14 amendment right of workers to liberty of contract.
• Dissent: Justice Holmes makes a plead for the change to reasonableness and logic.
• Dissent started a change towards the courts decisions on economic regulation.
Muller V. Oregon (1908)
• State law that limits the number of hours that woman can work.
• The legislation was literally designed to avoid precedent of lochner were their law would
be shut down, so chose woman instead of men.
• Brandeis is the lawyer for Oregon. Smart dude
• First time a lawyer is mentioned in a Supreme Court decision: the